Thursday, June 15, 2006

From a 12 of 12 to the 12 Steps

I grew up with an alcoholic/addict in my immediate family and it's taken them a long time, but they have finally sought the road to recovery and have stayed on it for nearly a year. (Next month will be their one year anniversary actually.)

I saw on another rosary maker's site that they had made a simple 12 bead chaplet for people in recovery. There's was really simple - twelve knots (it was made from knotted twine) with a crucifix on one end and a St. Maximillian Kolbe medal on the other. (He is the patron saint of alcoholics.) I wanted to made something that was a little more me (ie. it's fancy) and was secular (since AA subscribes to "God as we understand Him" and that doesn't always mean crosses) for my family.

So I worked with my family on a set of AA prayers that could go with a 12 beaded devotion and since the Serenity Prayer figures in so big in AA I named them Serenity Beads.



Serenity Bead Prayers
On the first bead, pray a prayer of your choice.
On the green beads pray the Serenity Prayer.
On the silver beads pray the Our Father.
Close with the St. Francis Prayer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home