Wednesday, June 07, 2006

"There's nothing like priests to screw up a good thing."

Monsignor Swetland, known for being extremely quotable and generally a good guy, is leaving my church as head chaplain this month. We had a big fancy Mass on Pentecost for his last Mass with a really fancy reception afterwards. They even had wine. He'll be missed. In particular, he used to address God in Hebrew when he prayed, which I particularly appreciated. So I'll miss that.

My favorite "Monsignor Moment" was when I started praying the Liturgy of the Hours. I asked him for some help since it is quite complicated for the beginner. ("Christian Prayer" - the one volume version, is a thick book with many sections and 5 colored ribbons.) His lesson consisted of: "Just put the ribbons in and Pray!"

The title of this is a Monsignor Swetland quote. For more Monsignor-isms, check out this page.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home