Monday, April 17, 2006

You Mean it's NOT Pewter?

Proving that the question "Is it silver?" is never truly answered, I present this "pewter" rosary. Or, at least I bought it believing it was pewter.

The other day I had to take a train trip and so I brought a bunch of rosaries with me to write descriptions for. While writing the description for this one I noticed that it a funny "dent" in the back of the crucifix. Then I noticed that the same dent was on the center medal as well. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the word "sterling" appeared to be stamped under the dent. Since I didn't have my loupe with me on the train it remained a mystery until I got home.

It turns out that, yes, this pewter rosary is actually sterling silver. How about that? I'll post pictures of the hallmark after I take them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home