Saturday, March 11, 2006

A little bit of Glory


I love Gloria rosaries. This one is particularly cool because it is small and I didn't know they even made small rosaries. (For me the first sign that I am going to see a Gloria hallmark on the back is that the rosary is huge and heavy.) This one is really unique though in that it is petite and delicate. I couldn't believe it when I saw the back of the crucifix. I was like "Gloria? No way!" And there it was on the center medal too.


Actually, the assembly is worth mentioning here because it's unusual all beyond the fact that it's small. Gloria seems to have made a select few crucifixes and the variation is in how they are configured with center medals, beads, and sterling links. In this case, it's a crucifix I've never seen before and it's really ornate and Celtic looking. (Which is also surprising since Gloria typically goes in for filigree.) The center medal is a tiny version of my favorite open work centermedal with Mary on one side and Jesus on the other. And then, just like its larger Gloria counterparts, there are the wonderful sterling links to join the whole thing together and make it really special. It's an awesome rosary - no doubt.


And finally, to top it all off, are the medals. They're all sterling too and one of them is hallmarked as well. The sterling Sacred Heart of Jesus Medal (with Our Lady of Perpetual Hope) on the back that you can see in the pictures above and below is hallmarked with, of all things, "Creed". Creed , is probably the most well known maker of sterling silver rosaries in the US (and possibly the most expensive). I actually like Gloria rosaries a lot better, but to my surprise I found myself in possession of a Creed sterling silver medal. It's a small medal and it looked great on this delicate little rosary so I figured I'd mix and match a bit.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting! I have a few rosaries from the GLORIA manufacturer. They are the nicest and most well-made, in my opinion. My favorite is an older Rock-Crystal one that was gift years ago. I would like to know if the company still exists or not-I've never been able to get any info about it, other than seeing a few at auction on e-bay. Terrific blog, by the way! -David

7:09 AM  
Blogger Saint Kurt said...

As far as I can tell, Gloria isn't a manufacturer, but a foundry that makes the assembly pieces: crucifix, centermedal, etc. I believe that the Gloria foundry was/is located in Quebec, but is no longer making rosary parts.

In fact, most of the heavy beautiful rosaries that you see come from French Canada: the Gloria, PL, Brister, and Catamore hallmarks all come from Canada. I have done a lot of research into silver hallmarks looking for the history of these, but these Canadian rosary hallmarks are always left out of the catalogs.

It is quite frustrating trying to learn about these beautiful rosaries from the North.

6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home