Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Why the rosary?


It seems that I have always been fascinated by rosaries. I got my first rosary when I was eight years old and I still have it. That doesn't sound than unusual unless you take into account the fact that I grew up Jewish. I used to think it was the most perfect thing I had ever seen which seems odd to me now because it's a pretty plain rosary. It was my love of the rosary that lead me to see what else the Catholic church had to offer. A lot as it turns out and I can now say I am a Jewish Catholic. (I'm in good company, so was Mary, and Jesus.)

I began collecting rosaries in high school, but I didn't really get any good ones until I was in college. I have always hung my rosaries in the bathroom. It's hard to find good ways to decorate one's bathroom and the rosaries look nice in there. I have around 50 or 60 rosaries, many of them quite rare. All of them tell interesting stories and friends from my church have often suggested I write a book on the rosary as a devotional item.

Recently I decided that it was a little unfair that I had all the good rosaries. I certainly can't pray on all of them at once and so I am now endeavoring to catalog them and then sell all but a few treasured favorites. I decided a blog where each entry was a rosary was the perfect way to keep a record and share it with everyone else. I'm in the process of photographing the collection now and should have my first rosary up soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home